Hearty Vegetable Soup
Packed with tomatoes, celery, carrots and beans, this soup offers a great way to include more vegetables in your diet and hit your 5 A DAY. It's ideal for vegetarians too.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, carrots, leeks and celery, and fry until sizzling. Lower the heat, cover and cook gently for five minutes, stirring if needed.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, water, tomato purée, beans and frozen peas. Raise the heat to maximum. Bring to the boil and add the pasta, herbs and pepper.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked, stirring frequently to make sure the pasta doesn't stick.
Allergy advice: This recipe contains celery and wheat (gluten). The pasta may contain egg.
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food
- if you are not going to eat all of the dish, the leftovers should be cooled within one to two hours and placed in the fridge (for up to two days) or frozen
- when reheating, always make sure that the dish is steaming hot all the way through before serving
- never reheat food more than once
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 80g green beans
- 1½ tbsp tomato purée
- 1 leek, sliced
- 80g frozen peas
- 50g dried pasta
- 1 litre of boiling water
- pepper to taste
- 1½ tsp dried herbs
The reference intake of an average adult is 8400kJ/2000kcal a day.